My name is SUKIDAH BAHARUDDIN from Indonesia. Two years ago (2013), I found that there were two lumps whose sizes were as big as the eyes so I went to hospital in Indonesia to receive CT scan. I was diagnosed with breast cancer at Ⅲ stage. The local doctor suggested me to take surgery and chemotherapy but I refused. I was worried but I can not find other better cancer treatments except for chemotherapy.
By chance, I participated in the symposium which held by Modern Cancer Hospital Guangzhou. At the symposium, I knew some minimally invasive caner therapies and technologies, such as cryosurgery therapy, interventional therapy, etc. I also heard some anticancer patients’ stories. After the symposium, the cancer experts at the spot gave me professional suggested therapies. Under the support and encouragement of families, I decided to receive cancer therapy at Modern Cancer Hospital Guangzhou.
In 2014, I went to Modern Cancer Hospital Guangzhou to receive therapies. On the first day, I took some regular check and the doctor diagnosed me with breast cancer at Ⅲ stage and my left breast ulcerated so I can not take cancer therapies at that time and needed to deal with the ulcerated breast. The doctors were good, especially Dr. Dai and Dr. Zhang. My breast was ulcerated and even smelly but doctors washed my wound by themselves carefully every time and the wound turned better quickly. Thus I began to take cancer therapy.
However, another question went to me. I was scared and worried because I did not know what therapies I would receive and was afraid of the result of the cancer therapies. When I took the cryosurgery therapy at the first time, my cancer condition went better and my stress relieved. At first, I felt nausea and queasy, but these symptoms were gone soon. After five times of interventional therapy, two times of cryosurgery therapy and breast modified radical therapy, Dr. Dai told me that there was no tumor in my body for now but I needed to take review check every two months. If there will be no recurrence in five years, it means I recover from cancer in medical. Now my condition is good physically and mentally and my appetite is better. I want to come back Indonesia soon.
Though I received cancer therapy alone in China but I did not feel despaired and restless. Modern Cancer Hospital Guangzhou made me feel at home and I felt comfortable. Every time doctors answered my questions patiently and explained them one by one which made me feel at ease and relaxed. I am grateful to doctors, nurses and interpreters at Modern Cancer Hospital Guangzhou for their care and love.
SUKIDAH BAHARUDDIN took photo with doctors.
General Symptoms of breast cancer
1. Breast cancer patients in early stage are not able to touch clear lumps, but often accompanied with local discomforts. This situation happens very often specially in women after menopause.
2. Early stage breast cancer patients can reach bean-size masses in their breast grand, which are hard and movable but with no significant pain, while a few patients might bear intermittent pain or pricking pain.
3. Change of the breast shape. Visible skin bulge can be seen in the mass region, local orange peel -like skin, edema, and even discoloration may appear in some cases.
4. Nipples in the center are associated with nipple retraction; breast skin is accompanied with mild depression, nipple erosion, nipple asymmetry, skin thickening, coarsening, and enlarged pores.
5. Axillary lymph nodes swelling. Swelling in ipsilateral axillary lymph nodes is most commonly seen, while swelling in the supraclavicular lymph nodes has fallen into the advance stage.
Diagnostic Methods of Breast Cancer
1. Ultrasound imaging examination: it can clearly reveal the form and boundary of breast tissues and whether there is mass in the breast, if any, its size, shape and texture (cystic or solid), etc. It provides comparatively reliable basis for the distinguishing between benign and malignant cancer. Ultrasound imaging examination has an 80%～85% accuracy to the diagnosis of breast cancer patients of 30 years old. The strong reflected sound caused by the surrounding infiltrated tissues, the damaged normal breast structure, the thickening or indentation of local breast skin above underlying mass, images of all these can be taken as important reference of breast cancer diagnosis. Ultrasound is harmless and can be reused.
2. Thermal imaging examination: it is a method to reveal the temperature distribution of body surface with images. As cancer cells proliferate fast and vessels increase, the temperature of cancer surface rises higher than that of surrounding normal tissues, with the differences of which, diagnosis can be done. However, this diagnosis method lacks of accurate imaging standard, and the thermal abnormal parts cannot correspond to the tumor. Therefore, the diagnostic accordance rate of the method is low. That's why this method is used less and less in recent years.
3. CT scans: it can be used in determining the location of impalpable breast lesions before biopsy and staging breast cancer before treatment, as well as checking whether there are masses in the retromammary area, armpit and internal breast lymph nodes, and helping with treatment plan as well.
4. Cancer marker examination: during the cancerization process, a substance is produced and secreted by cancer cells. It directly releases components of cell tissues and exists in the cancer cells or body fluid of the parasitifer in the form of antigen, enzyme, hormone or metabolite. This kind of substance is called cancer marker, with which the examination methods include carcinoembryonic antigen (CEA), iron protein, monoclonal antibody, and so on.
5. Biopsy: only after the diagnosis is confirmed can treatment for breast cancer be performed. Although there are plenty of examination methods for breast cancer nowadays, the result of biopsy is the only basis that can be used to confirm diagnosis.
How to Treat Breast Cancer?
Breast cancer patients usually choose surgery to remove tumors. However, this practice will cause big surgical trauma which is susceptible to infection, yet it can not kill the cancer cells completely. Radiotherapy and chemotherapy may kill tumor effectively. However, there are so many side effects, and they kill not only cancer cells, but normal cells as well, which create a favorable environment for cancer regrowth.
Minimally Invasive Therapies for Breast Cancer
Breast cancer has various kinds of treatments. Usually, doctors will advice you to receive an integrative treatment. In Modern Cancer Hospital Guangzhou, besides traditional treatments there are also minimally invasive therapies such as interventional therapy, cryotherapy, particle knife and natural therapy. Before making the treatment plan, doctors will evaluate your type, stage, your age and physical condition, and then they will work out the best treatment plan for you.