The incidence of breast cancer is increasingly rising in recent years. For breast cancer patients, the best way to effectively control breast cancer is to seek for a cancer specialized hospital and actively cooperate with the doctor in the treatment. Experts suggest that, besides active treatment, good caring work, especially dietary care, is also very important. Different foods contain different nutrient elements, which have different effects on human body. Some foods can help patients resist cancers and have certain assistant effect in breast cancer treatment, while some others are bad for patients’ rehabilitation. Below is an introduction of diet for breast cancer patients.
Food beneficial to breast cancer patients
1. Hericium erinaceus. Experts point out that hericlum erinaceus contains rich polysaccharide and polypeptide, which can effectively inhibit breast cancer cells and produce interferon. Therefore, eating more hericlum erinaceus can increase the white blood cells of breast cancer patients
2. Garlic. Garlic is one of the foods that are beneficial to the rehabilitation of breast cancer patients, as it contains plenty of selenium, which is helpful in cancer prevention. The garlic should be chewed by fresh. Basically, several times a week will take effect in preventing breast cancer.
3. Carrots. Study has found that, after absorbed into human body, carotin will be transformed into vitamin A, which can maintain the normal structure and function of the human epithelial tissue and obstruct invasion of carcinogen, thus to prevent breast cancer. Carrots should be eaten after cooked, as that will make it easier to absorb.
4. Asparagus. Asparagus is also one of the foods beneficial to the rehabilitation of breast cancer patients, as it contains rich histone, which is an anti-cancer nutrient and has effect in inhibiting the growth of cancer cells. Moreover, it also contains folic acid, selenium, nucleic acids and other substances, which are helpful in preventing the diffusion of cancer cells. Therefore, eating more asparagus is good for the treatment and rehabilitation of breast cancer patients.
Dietary considerations for breast cancer patients
Dietotherapy is a strongly recommended green therapy of Chinese medication. From the point of view of the dialectic, Chinese medication believes that breast cancer patients should pay attention to the following aspects regarding the diet:
1. In daily life, patients should avoid the scallion, ginger, garlic, fatty pork, pumpkin and other foods that can break down the body’s internal balance and produce phlegm. On the other hand, kelp, seaweeds, laver, oysters, asparagus, fresh kiwi fruit can reduce phlegm and therefore patients should eat more.
2. After surgery, patients usually are very weak, and therefore should eat foods that benefit vital energy and nourish blood, so as to enhance the treatment effect and advance the day of rehabilitation. These foods include Chinese yam powder, sticky rice, spinach, kelp, crucian carp, loach, date, roses, etc.
3. When the patient's condition develops to a certain stage, the inner organs are easy to be damaged. Therefore, they should eat some cool-natured foods, which can reduce excessive heat in the body. These foods include loquat fruit, Chinese white pear, lotus root, banana, perilla-seed, olives, etc.
During the patient’s hospitalization, hospital or family members should provide appropriate diet for the patient according to nutritional and dietary principle and the patient’s tastes and physical condition before and after surgery, chemotherapy and radiation therapy, so as to effectively help the patient in rehabilitation. Experts from Modern Cancer Hospital Guangzhou remind that, diet for breast cancer patients must be carefully chosen. Otherwise, it will not only fail to reduce the patient's painfulness, but also worsen the condition of the patient.